Novel Ideas Art Book Fair
March 6–7, 2020
Novel Ideas Art Book Fair
March 6–7, 2020 | 116 Blue Star
PURCHASE FAIR TICKETS – from $15-$40.
PARKING GUIDE – Download our parking guide to help make your visit easier. You can also park and ride from multiple city parking lots less than 1 mile north of us and take the Via VIVA cultural route. Map and schedule here.
Keynote lecture free to the public thanks to sponsorship by the 80/20 Foundation . Registration required. Details below.
Novel Ideas Art Book Fair is a two-day art book fair organized by Contemporary at Blue Star featuring artists’ books, monographs, zines, printed ephemera, and more. Conceived as a platform and community-building event for artists and producers operating primarily in the Southwestern US region and Mexico who are dedicated to books as medium and material, the Novel Ideas Art Book Fair includes a range of exhibitors, both publishers, and artists. Novel Ideas includes programming such as talks, pop-up workshops, signings, an after party hosted by Paper Tiger, and four complementary onsite exhibitions. We are thrilled to welcome world renowned artist and curator Julie Ault as the keynote speaker for the event.
Friday, March 6
5pm-6pm VIP hour
6pm-9pm Fair opening night
Saturday, March 7
Exhibitors in the galleries all day.
Special programming below
- All day-New issue release, Issue 14: The Election Issue – Yes, Ma’am
- 11am-Artist Talk by Madison Cowles Serna – Feral Editions
- 12pm-Artist talk and book launch of The Place Where Flags Wave- Jason Reed of Texas State University Photography Program
- 1pm-Vinyl record listening session – M12
- 2pm-Dialogue with Lorenzo Gomez and Cruz Ortiz
- 3pm-Keynote lecture by Julie Ault (1518 S Alamo St, San Antonio, TX 78204, at SAY Sí) RSVP HERE
- 4:30-6pm-David Martin Davies table sharing and signing of Secret History of San Antonio – TPR/David Martin Davies
- 4:30pm-Mystery book giveaway! – Bill’s Junk
- Doors at 8pm-Closing party at Paper Tiger (2410 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78212) with El Dusty and The Homies
Participating 2020 exhibitors include
- Animal Facts Club (Wimberley)
- Annie May Johnston (Austin)
- Artpace (SA)
- Bill’s Junk (Houston)
- Cattywampus Press (SA)
- Cortney Cassidy (Oakland)
- Coyote Bones Press (San Antonio)
- Feral Editions (SA)
- Flowerpot Books (SA)
- French & Michigan (SA)
- Glasstire (TX)
- Hare and Hound Press (SA)
- Hellen Jo (LA)
- M12 (Colorado)
- Lawrence Markey (San Antonio)
- Lorenzo Gomez (San Antonio)
- Pey-Jing Li Mehrinfar (San Marcos)
- Mixed Media Press (Mexico City)
- Modernizm Zine (Houston)
- MOSAIC Student Artist Program (San Antonio)
- Mystic Multiples (Houston)
- Rand Renfrow (Austin)
- San Anto Zine Fest (SA)
- Southwest School of Art (SA)
- Spend Time Zine Mart (Austin)
- Sybil Press (SA/Baltimore)
- Texas State University Photography Program (San Marcos)
- TPR/David Martin Davies (TX)
- UT Print and Friends (Austin)
- Yes, Ma’am Press & Xicana Vegan(SA)
WAYS TO SUPPORT:
- $15 – Friday, March 6, 2020 opening night (CAM supporters receive $5 discount at the door with CAM sticker)
- $20 – Saturday, March 7, 2020 all day
- Free – Saturday, March 7, 2020 8-11pm Free concert at Paper Tiger featuring El Dusty and The Homies
- $40 – All Access Pass- all the above, 2 free drink tickets for Paper Tiger and a free slice at Pizza Party (2334 N. St. Mary’s-next door to Paper Tiger) includes limited edition artist print by Rand Renfrow for first 40 pass purchasers.
* Contemporary at Blue Star members, TPR members, and members of any of our museum month partner organizations receive a $5 discount on the all access pass.
SPONSORSHIP — As a Novel Ideas Sponsor, enjoy preview access to the fair, recognition opportunities reaching our diverse audience, and tickets —great perks for clients and employees— all while supporting the event! View sponsorship opportunities here or if you’re interested in underwriting opportunities, contact Development Manager, Elaine Leahy directly by calling 210.227.6960 or emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to submit sponsorship payments.
VOLUNTEER — Volunteers are needed to help with hospitality and logistics during the art book fair. Please sign up here: